As we settle into the barn apartment, I wanted to make some simple curtain panels for the back windows. Privacy isn’t really an issue (since we are nowhere near civilization or other houses).
But, the windows get REALLY bright in the morning so a little light blocking action would be great.
Not that Henry really ever lets us sleep in, but a mom can dream.
I had been browsing fabric stores for a nice pattern for the curtains, but nothing really stuck out. Then, I found a perfect curtain panel at Target – it was far too big for the windows and not lined, but at only $16.99 (on sale), I knew I could make it work for both windows.
Making smaller curtains from existing curtains is so simple, and in this case it was also way cheaper than buying home decor weight fabric.
The curtains were 54 inches wide, and my windows are each 22×45 inches. I wanted a little extra width, so I simply cut the curtain in half width-wise. Then, I cut the length of each panel to 47 inches (giving myself a little extra length for hemming).
This allowed me to use the existing curtain rod pocket at the top. Easy peasy.
Because of the amount of sunlight, I added a “liner” from a grey fabric curtain liner. I also used the finished sides as much as possible. First, I pinned the top of the curtain to the bottom of the curtain rod pocket. Then I sewed the two long sides together, right sides facing.
I ironed the long sides and then topstitched all the way around. On the bottom of the curtain, I just double folded the fabric into itself and sewed it together. (Check out this post for more about how I “measure” and sew curtains while hanging.)
And here’s how they turned out on the rods. (I hung them on chunky black curtain rods I bought on Overstock. I didn’t want to drill into the woodwork, so tension rods were the way to go. I love the wider options because they look a little sturdier than the tiny white ones you usually find.)
The curtains block quite a bit of light. And the lining even helps insulate the windows a bit from the cold. And I love that they have a good mix of brown and grey – perfect for the decor in the barn.