Fabric-covered canvas nursery art and hanging diaper organizers

(This is one of a few more detailed posts to come about projects I completed in Henry’s nursery. I know. It never ENDS.)

One of my very favorite parts of the nursery is the DIY fabric-covered canvases on the wall above the changing table. It’s the first thing you see when you enter the room and I think it adds a lot of pizzaz.

It’s also about the simplest project you can choose for DIY wall art. No messy paint. No artistic talent. Perfect for THIS LADY. (Pointing at myself.)

I also love this project because it’s:
- Cheap
- Quick
- Fool proof

It can also make use of all those pieces of fabrics you’ve been hoarding, if you are anything like me. I pulled four fabrics that I bought to make pillows for the room. I was able to use the excess for these.

To make them yourself, simply cut a square of fabric about 6 inches wider and taller than your canvas (my canvases were reused from artwork at the old house and were 12 inches, I cut the fabric about 24×24 to have plenty of excess).

Then, just wrap the fabric around the canvas, one side at a time, and staple to the back wooden edge with a staple gun. Just be careful around the corners to get a nice fold.

I didn’t stress too much about making the pattern perfectly straight, but if you are a perfectionist (I’m talking to you, Chelsea), just be careful not to pull the fabric too much or you may notice some crooked lines.

After I hung the canvases, I needed some extra personality. I came upon this awesome nursery for another awesome baby Henry at You’re So Martha. This momma is amazing. (Seriously, go check out her blog. Now.) And I was particularly smitten with her “henry” canvas and her pennants (which I also copied).

(Photo from You’re So Martha)

Just like that, I knew that one of those canvases needed Henry’s name. (I’m so original, no?) It was just the push I needed to get my Silhouette out of the box from 2 YEARS AGO. Can you believe I’ve kept that silly thing in a box for 2 years? (I sold my Cricut and all the crazy cartridges to buy a Silhouette around Thanksgiving in 2010.)

Anyhoo, I was able to cut Henry’s name out in a free font I found online within 10 minutes of taking the Silhouette out of the box. Really easy to use. I just cut the name from red cardstock and attached it with scrapbooking adhesive that I had. Boom. Quick and awesome. I have lots more Silhouette projects up my sleeve.

Then, I got seriously crazy insane in the membrane. When I found this vintage “H” at Sisters, I knew I had to have it for Henry. And since it’s the perfect size for the canvas, I just cleaned it up and attached it to the canvas by driving nails into the top frame. It just hangs perfectly.

In case you are wondering about those hanging organizers, they are simple as can be. Since the changing table is almost exactly the size of the changing pad, I didn’t have any space to add a basket for dipes and wipes and other stuff you need at arm’s reach. So, I tried to get creative.

They are simple drawer organizers that came in a set from IKEA and happen to be the exact right size for diapers and wipes. So, I just covered them in fabric and called it a day. I hung them to a small curtain rod with curtain clips and done. They are super functional and I really like having everything right there.

But I have to be honest – I don’t love the organizers right now. They are a little flimsy and the fabric didn’t stick super well and I didn’t make it long enough on the inside, so you can see where the fabric ends. But, I’m living with it right now until I figure something else out. I like the curtain rod and the accessibility, so I will probably just modify it a bit when it annoys me enough. But, until then, it works just fine.

In my opinion, this entire wall just oozes personality. And Henry is seriously obsessed with the patterns. He likes to stare up at the fabric when he’s getting diapers changed. Which happens a lot in this neck of the woods.

What do you think?

(All fabric sources listed on the original nursery post.)

Comments

I love the “H”! It’s perfect for Henry’s nursery. I like the curtain rod by the changing table. The infant and toddler developmental therapist in me thinks that it’s perfect for attaching toys to so Henry can turn his little baby head and play with the toys while he’s being changed.

I didn’t get a chance to comment on the big nursery post, but I love it! Once again your attention to detail really makes the room come together. And you are right, these canvasses make a huge statement!
    Love, love, love it all!

3. Jill says

I love the canvas art idea. I’ve been trying to figure out something else to put above Megan’s changing table and may have to steal this idea!

4. Jill says

5. Sugarr2518 says

The canvas art was one of my favorites throughout his room! The mix of print and the “H” just adds to the wall display:)

The canvases are beautiful, and I’m thinking of doing this with some old art I painted that I hate. I could wipe it out with white paint so nothing shows through and just cover with fabric! Awesome. As for the organizers, could you possibly attach them to the wall with a small screw through the bottom to sturdy them up? Or, a small piece of trim for them to rest on? Either way, they look so cute.

Thanks for the kind shout out :) Yours looks great. And, you got your post up about them faster than I have about mine – I have no idea where time goes these day. I think I may need to get a Silhouette, it sounds like it makes projects so much easier than my print and trace and/or cut method!

8. Lauren says

Love these canvas art! How do you get the changing table to stay on the top of the dresser without it sliding around?

9. Christa from Controlling Craziness says

Nice job! I love the colors and the patterns. Thanks for sharing, it looks so easy I might have to give it a try for my older kids rooms.

10. Libbie says

Okay I am in love! Almost all of my artwork in my house is homeade & I have put fabric in frames but I love this wayyyy more! thanks for sharing your idea ! My boys will have a much cuter room :) P.S. I am such a red white & navy girl myself…how could I not be in love :)

11. Amanda Terry Dawes says

I’m also expecting a Henry this spring! I’m in LOVE with the font you used!! Would you happen to remember what is is?

12. Anonymous says

Hi! Thank you for this idea! I made one for my son’s room. It turned out great. I had a local shop embroider his name on the fabric for me, and it worked really well. I’m glad I found you on Pinterest.

13. Jackie D. says

Found this (and your blog) on Pinterest and absolutely love this adorable idea! I’ve already gone out and purchased the curtain rod, clips, and baskets to hang above the changing table since I, too, have the same situation and was trying to figure out what to do for storage. My changing table is in a tight corner of the baby’s room with no where to stick one of those store-bought diaper shelves. Plus, this is way cuter! Next step is working on similar canvasses for the wall… Thanks for sharing!!

This includes the glass, patio doors everest you need to choose them
    with care. The kind that you choose the right type of paint.
    When your home is exposed to extreme weather conditions.

Of course, updating the kitchen and the bathroom can be a
    lot faster than going through the trouble and expense of installing new windows,
    but the energy you save is for life. Usually this involves a deadbolt and two other locks
    strategically placed near the top and the bottom part
    of the job is unknowingly not done properly.
    affordable window replacment in New Iberia recently posted…affordable window replacment in New IberiaMy Profile

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles.

I will bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly.
    I’m quite certain I’ll learn plenty of new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!
    photo pop art recently posted…photo pop artMy Profile

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this site.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s
    very hard to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appearance.

I must say that you’ve done a excellent job with this.
    Additionally, the blog loads very fast for me on Firefox.
    Excellent Blog!
    Floyd recently posted…FloydMy Profile

17. Jen Hilgendorf says

I just happened to randomly see this post as I was reading your most recent blog post, and I’m so happy I did because I have been wanting to add an H to one of our canvases that I covered in fabric in the living room, but I wasn’t sure if I should/could. Now that I see it, I’m totally sold. Back to Hobby Lobby to pick up that H and paint it. :)