Slow cooker chicken and dumplings

My mom made the most delicious chicken and dumplings when I was growing up. To this day, it’s one of my favorite comfort foods. But, until last week, I’d never made it myself. It just seemed a bit too “involved” for me. But, when I found this recipe for easy slow-cooked chicken and dumplings, I had to try it. And, it was really quite delicious. And, incredibly simple! You should try it yourself – perfect for a cold, winter night.

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I put them in frozen)
2 tbsp. butter
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 onion finely chopped
1 package of refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces
Chicken stock

Place the chicken, butter, soup and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with just enough chicken stock (or water) to cover.
Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on high (or 8-9 hours on low). About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker on high. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

Almost as good as the recipe my mom makes. The dumplings are even better than I expected from refrigerated dough. It’s always better when someone else makes it for you. =)

Do you have a favorite winter comfort food?

Comments

I tried this but mine didn’t turn out at all. I don’t know if I filled the crock pot up too high or perhaps I shouldn’t have been stirring it and just left it alone but it seemed like my biscuits got mixed in with the broth and it just tasted starchy. I will have to give it another try. Glad it turned out for you!

Yum! I’m so making this in the next few days!

And OMG … it’s your big gender reveal week! Let me tell you, it’s going to be the looooooongest weeeeeeeeek of your liiiiiiiiiife. :)

I’ve tried either this exact recipe or something quite similar before also. You def don’t want to stir at all once you add the biscuit/dumpling dough because they’ll practically disintegrate. Unfortunately I’ve yet to find a chicken & dumplings recipe that both my husband and I like, but I do need to start keeping a list of easy/crockpot/freezer meals for when Baby K is here, so I’ll have to remember this one.

I looove crockpot recipes that don’t involve any prep – just dump it all in!

The recipe I use is almost the same–just includes carrots, celery, and corn/green beans if desired.

You’re right–the fridge biscuits really do make a great dumpling!

Again, your mom’s comments are always the cutest. I’ve never had chicken and dumplings before though so I’m glad I read all of the comments first so I know not to stir it. It sounds yum.

Yum! We made chicken and dumplings a few weeks ago. Our version was quick and dirty because it was a game time decision, we were hungry and all the recipes were hours and hours. I liked it, not as good as my mom’s , but tasty. It was really different than what John grew up with, I guess his had no veggies and was thicker and white. I have no clue. I told him to deal. :)

7. Anonymous says

When you tear up the biscuits (I use my kitchen shears to cut them) drop them into flour before adding to crockpot and that will help thicken the broth.

This was a hit with my family last night! It is fabulous! For 5 adults and 3 preschoolers I took the receipe X 3 and it was GONE!….Thanks!