Pizza night

Ryan and I are big pizza fans and love having pizza nights. But, we typically disagree on favorite pizza joints (for the locals, Ryan prefers Harris, I prefer Happy Joes). But what we don’t disagree on – this homemade crust ala my friend Miss Effie. It’s amazing. It’s simple. We both love it.
So, we just make pizza at home instead. Win-win.

Here’s the last pizza we made at home. Onion. Olives and Artichokes (on my half). Sausage (on Ryan’s half). Mushrooms. Deeeee-licious.

I had been making pizza crust in the bread maker on the dough function. But, this is so much better. And totally easy. So, Ryan and I think you should make it. Okay? Okay.
Classic dough
Mix the following ingredients and set aside for 5 minutes:
1 tsp dry instant yeast
1 tsp sugar
¾ c warm water
Mix 2 cups flour and ½ tsp salt in bowl, pour in yeast mixture and ¼ c olive oil and stir.

Transfer to a floured board and knead approximately 5 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl and let rise for about an hour.  Punch the dough down. Shape pizza and bake. (I typically bake the dough for 15 minutes before putting the ingredients on top and baking until everything is cooked through and cheese is melted.)
Make it, friends. You won’t regret it.
Do you have pizza nights?

Comments

Love pizza nites! I usually reserve them for when my niece comes over since she loves pizza, too. Last summer we started making our own dough (so darn simple that i can’t believe I never tried it sooner) and grilling the pizza. Grilled pizza is the way to go. Since none of us agree on toppings we make individual sized ones. That is for sure a lot cheaper than eating it out. Yum!

love pizza – but have never made my own crust. I guess partly because of laziness :) This sounds pretty simple though…thanks for sharing!

We have pizza every Friday night. But instead of buying it we make our own. I hope to make this a family tradition that my kiddos look forward to. I know hubby loves it! You have to try BBQ chicken pizza! It is not my favorite but for something different it was worth it. I love pizza Friday. I call it pizza, pjs and pancake Friday. OH how we love it.

What do you use for sauce?
    We have a couple of good dough recipes but I can never get the sauce just right…probably would help if I didn’t just buy whatever jar is cheapest at Target. :P

Love pizza night! Usually for me it’s either a Friday or a Saturday night. I make my pizza at home because I have to eat gluten-free, so there aren’t many choices for me to eat pizza any other way. I love to relax in front of the TV with my pizza and a glass of wine at the end of a long week.

My husband and I had pizza nights frequently when we were both grad students. I loved experimenting with new dough recipes. I’ll have to try Miss Effie’s – and maybe we’ll revive an old tradition.

Artichokes and black olives are the best combination!

Mmm, this looks yummy! I’ve been wanting to make some homemade pizza, but I didn’t have a dough recipe. I’ve tried Pilsbury’s pizza dough, but we don’t really care for it. I’ll have to give Domino’s a break and try this one. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

yum!! i often make it in our bread machine on the dough function, but have been trying to be better about making from scratch lately because it does come out a LOT better.

We have homemade pizza 1-2 dinners a week. all different kinds!

Yum pizza! My dad picked Harris for lunch on Father’s Day. I like it, but it’s not my favorite. I like Happy Joe’s, but it’s also not my favorite.
    My favorite? The Barn out in Atkinson. You must try it. They put Molly McButter on the crust.

I love pizza night. We have it almost quickly. I don’t think any of our local pizza places are good (maybe a bit snobby of me), so we make our own most of the time. I’ve been using Annie Eat’s. Once my frozen stash runs out, I’ll have to give yours a try.

Happy Joes Taco Pizza is my all time favorite pizza. Since I live in NewJersey now, I only get it when I travel home, but I’m going back for a visit in August. My mom has it waiting for me when I get there!
    I need to make homemade pizza more often. I’m going to try that pizza crust. Do you have a recipe for taco pizza?

Yum…we love homemade pizza nights! I’ve made my own dough several times, but now usually just buy fresh dough from the grocery store. Last Friday’s pizza when heaven, though…I modified the recipe for Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese pizza I found at The Way the Cookie Crumbles. The hubby and I highly recommend it!

13. Lauren says

Pizza night is Friday nights in our house. But we don’t make our own pizza because we are lazy! Yours looks delish! :)

Oh god I love pizza. Breaakfast, lunch or dinner, it’s the perfect food. I’ll usually make pizza once or twice a month but I’ve never made my own crust. I just don’t think I’m cut out for making my own bread products. I’ll eat it if you make it for me though. Add it to my pile please.

15. yeoldesandwichshoppeva says

YAY PIZZA NIGHT! I was the floor manager of a Sbarros for a while in college, so Stephen practically whimpers with joy when I decide to have a pizza night. It kind of helps that the man loves pizza. He uses the word “pizza” the same way other people use the word “Hi!”. He even uses it as an endearment for me sometimes. He’ll come home from work and say, “Hey, Pizza” instead of “Hey Dear”. He’s a strange one, but I love him.

Surely you have a piece or two left in the fridge? Just drop that in the mail tomorrow…K? My kids LOVE pizza night….especially when I made tiny pizzas and let them put their own toppings on. Now if I could just get the courage to make the cheese I’d be all set.