Make custom marquis lit letters

There’s always a favorite – the favorite element of a party. For Henry’s bash, it was the ONE marquis letters. Not only did they turn out better than I anticipated, everyone went crazy over them and no one could believe I did them myself. Now, I’ll share how I made them and hopefully help you make them even better.

Marquis lit letters DIY

When I was sharing the type of party I wanted with Shannon, we both started looking for inspiration and shared what we loved through a secret Pinterest board. (Which, by the way, is the bomb.)

When I came upon this image from Restoration Hardware, I stopped in my tracks.

I actually labeled this picture “Overkill. Or not?” Sort of joking, because it may be a wee bit over the top and where would I find a marquis sign? No seriously, where could I find one?

But because Shannon gets me, she totally put it in the plan and then shared an online tutorial for a mini marquis sign at Oh Happy Day so I could make it happen.

However, I knew that this tutorial would NOT work for me since it requires a lot of templates and cutting and glueing and time. And the truth is that I have pretty much no patience, zero extra time, and am not enough of a perfectionist for that. (I know you don’t believe that I’m not a perfectionist, but it’s true. Ask Michelle, she’ll tell you. I prefer to do a lot of things imperfectly instead of stressing about one tiny little perfect thing. I’m all about quantity – not quality. Not many people admit to that, right?)

So, I came up with another way. Which I’m sure has been done before and blogged about, but I refuse to look on Pinterest and instead continue to believe I’m a GENIUS.

Marquis lit sign2

So, here’s how I made the marquis letters at Henry’s party, in case you, too, are crazy and a glutton for punishment. This really did end up being my favorite part of the party. So, it was worth the minor electrocution, cut finger and loss of sanity.

Southern Blues Birthday Party051

Don’t tell me I didn’t warn you.

(But seriously, I’ll tell you what I did and then what I’d do differently next time so you don’t make my mistakes.)

What you need:
Paper mâché letters
A sharp knife
Spray paint
Screwdriver
Globe lights (I bought mine four years ago at Big Lots but I’ve seen them at Target and Kohls, too.)

1. Buy your letters of choice in paper mache.
This was actually the only thing i had to purchase for this project. So I bought 12 inch letters at Joann’s for this project. They were 50 percent off so I didn’t spend much.

2. Cut the front off the letters and sand edges.
Using a sharp knife, cut along the edge of the front letter. This will mean that you’ll be left with the sides and back of the letter. The paper mâché letters are fills with more paper to keep them from falling in. Just remove that paper when you are finished.

Paper mache letters

DSC_0483

Depending on the cutting job, you may have some jagged edges. Just sand it lightly to get a smoother finish on the edges. Wipe down.

3. Paint the letters to your liking.
I wanted mine to look like “metal,” which was done very scientifically by starting with blqck spray paint and then followed with oil-rubbed-bronze and metallic silver spray paint I had leftover in the garage.

Surprisingly, it turned out really similar toy an old metal finish. I had planned to buff the edge with black but it was unnecessary.

4. Poke the holes for your lightbulbs.
I debated the best way to do this and ended up simply using a screwdriver. Since the letter is just cardboard, it was easy to poke through.

And do you even have to ask? Of course I didn’t measure between the holes. I just eyeballed it.

Paper mache letters

5. CHECK THE LIGHTBULBS TO ENSURE THEY WORK.
I swear I did this, but they still ended up not working when I had them all in. Blasted.

Southern Blues Birthday Party005

Just double check because you’ll be mad if your lights don’t work.

6. Add the bulbs through the back.
The type of lights you have will make this step vary. Mine were christmas-style lights on the back with a glass dome clipped to the front. So I started by pushing the lights through the back and then clipping the glass dome to the light through the front. (See step 8.)

This process was tedious because I didn’t want to glue them so I could reuse the lights. I think if I were doing this again, I’d actually glue the domes to the front because I broke a LOT of the domes in the process.

If you are buying lights for the project, try to find lights where the dome and light are the entire bulb – like these. I think they will make the process simpler because you can just glue the dome bulb to the front.

7. Tape down the cords to the back with duct tape.

Since I was trying to go glue-less, I tried several ways to keep the cords hidden and the lights in place.

The best option was silver duct tape. It matched the color of the letters and kept the many cords hidden on the back. It also kept the lights in the holes. So just use the duct tape to cover all the cords and attach to the back of the letters.

8. Add the glass domes to the front.
Then I added those glass domes. If you are smarter than me and plan to use them longer term, you’ll glue them in.

Marquis lit sign3

9. Plug in and enjoy.
Bam. You have awesome marquis lit letters for your home or party. All my friends and family raved about these and they really played into the Southern Blues party theme.

Marquis lit sign1

What do you think of this little DIY?

Comments

1. Sarah says

I LOVE IT!!!!! LOOOOOOVE IT!!! Like… trying to figure out what I need marquie-d (?is that a word?) in my house kind of LOVE. I don’t know about you… but for me, all your pain and suffering was totally worth it. ;)

Seriously? That looks a million times easier than any tutorials I’ve seen before! I wanted to do letters for our wedding but ruled it out as too much math haha
    They came out absolutely great though! You should be super proud of the letters, Kim!
    Ash recently posted…Video Home Tour – 2013My Profile

This project turned out awesome!! I am seriously trying to figure out an event that I could make them for!! And I like the fact that you just cut apart the paper mache letters. Brilliant!!!
    Kristi recently posted…Cold Sale, Fun SaleMy Profile

4. Alison Schluenz says

Kim, the first picture I saw of these lights you made – I really thought they were metal ones you bought somewhere. I can’t believe you made these from those cardboard letters! I was shocked to read how easy this seemed. It seems to fun to NOT try!! Thanks for sharing! The party definitely had a cool vibe and these DIY lights certainly helped that!

You did an awesome job, I love the letters! And I’m so glad to hear you’re not a perfectionist, either. I’m so with you. Who has the time and energy to make sure every last little detail is absolutely, 100% right? Ain’t nobody got time for that.
    Rachel recently posted…A Crochet Dress, Sweater, and BlanketMy Profile

6. Katherine Kelly says

SERIOUSLY AWESOME. I like the tutorial, too. So helpful! I will definitely be making these for a party or decor sometime.

Thanks!

7. Jenny@NorthwestLovelies says

I love, love, love this project!! Your tutorial is perfect! I think I might do this for the next party! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Love this! I’ve been wanting to do something similar for our wedding reception – thanks for the tutorial! By the way, I know what you mean about not searching it on Pinterest, I hate it when I think I come up with the most clever idea, only to see it’s been done before, haha. Definitely a love hate relationship with the internet :)
    ~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

This is GREAT! Ive seen buttloads of tutorials, but THIS is what im talkin about!!! Totally up my alley with cheap and easy (relatively) and oh ya, did I say cheap! I love marquees but the real deal is soooo out of my budget! Thanks for sharing! I found this on pinterest :)

10. Shannon says

I think I’m going to do this on my main wall behind the couch!! We live in the city so I’ll represent and I’m going to do “DETROIT” would also be great to do a name for a kids room and use as a night light!! Wish me luck!!

excellent issues altogether, you just received a new reader.
    What could you suggest in regards to your put up that
    you just made some days in the past? Any certain?
    Lawanna recently posted…LawannaMy Profile

Staying up with the most current and greatest fashion development might seem like additional time than you have, but there are lots of
    spots that it is possible to visit quickly and easily get all in the
    fashion thing you may need. Laughter, smiles and playfulness were the norm for his photos, but it was
    not in fashion photography. Healthy clear beautiful skin is a must
    for models because bad skin does not photograph well.
    wholesale bandage dresses uk recently posted…wholesale bandage dresses ukMy Profile

13. Jewel Pittman says

Cant wait for my granddaughter to do this. I am retired teacher who has a minor in art and love to do crafts-now with my precious 12 yr. old granddaughter, We even have our own art studio to work in.

If you are considering getting into the trucking business, you may be thinking about getting your
    CDL and starting a career driving a semi-tractor hauling trailers.
    You can either call their customer service or visit official
    websites to ask for the estimates. The movers can easily clean the things from your house in very less time.
    moving and storage boxes recently posted…moving and storage boxesMy Profile

That is a great tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Simple but very precise info… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!
    Goethe recently posted…GoetheMy Profile

To do that, open i – Tunes, click onn Store in the menu and
    select “Deauthorize This Computer”. Macbook – Worth it
    if you have an education discount, otherwise APP is 25% of the
    laptop’s sticker price. If it can, and if you find a video ffor your particular phone, it’s a god idea to
    watch it a few times before you start.
    ipad repair recently posted…ipad repairMy Profile

I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles
    or blog posts on this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website.
    Studying this information So i’m satisfied to show that
    I’ve an incredibly good uncanny feeling I found out just what I
    needed. I most no doubt will make sure to do
    not omit this web site and give it a look regularly.
    mans health recently posted…mans healthMy Profile

18. Katona says

I think that using Christmas lights with the Ping pong balls attached may be a safer way to prevent breaking. However, the glass is prettier.

You may want to deep clean carpets once or twice a year.
    Some evidence of the real estate rubble can be seen in the attached figure (right image).
    ) But I mean to ask if we shouldn’t be prompted towards
    some conclusions that may not have been clear hitherto.
    You can always research on the various brands that are available in the market so that you can find
    the one that will last and the one can give you the value for your
    money. ‘   I warned him that day, that even though he and I had our differences
    I had always been upfront with him. The windfarm consists of 627
    wind turbines of 1 MW, 1. Find their suitable housing which will accept the Section 8 “Housing. For example leads are automatically generated through automated e-mails, websites and direct mail, which are directed to a prerecorded message and or answering service. Ahead of anything at all else, to evaluate what your requirements and develop a checklist. Also, by allowing you to capture a large base of friends on Twitter, you are able to market your real estate investing business substantially.
    real estate for dummies recently posted…real estate for dummiesMy Profile

20. marina zavala sanchez says

Wish I would have seen this BEFORE making my sign. lol it was alot of work but totally worth it for my daughter’s graduation party. I made a “SWEETS” sign and hung it above the desserts buffet. It was a little different. I had bought a marquee letter at The Treasure Island Flea in SF. That one was cut out in the back and then she taped them back on so it stands like a block with the lights coming out the front. I used that one as my example. I wanted mine Gold so I did a metallic gold paint then a gold spray glitter. Thank God for Exacto knives. I too eye balled where I needed to make holes, started with an X then cut around it making the whole big enough for the back of the bulb to fit. I also checked each light to make sure the bulbs worked. I didn’t have any problem with the cords, they kind of just stayed hidden inside the letter. Found the lights at Target. Wish I knew how to post a picture on here! It came out awesome if I do say so myself. :) I have some pics on my pinterest and on instagram under #xoxorayannajanae no blog yet…someday though :)

•Speed up: If you have designed a quick decision of offering
    the CASC examination then you should get ready about possible.

I use this constantly with my coaching individuals who’ve no examples.
    Although you’re in school, take an additional personal computer associated field.
    Meir Ezra the genius tour recently posted…Meir Ezra the genius tourMy Profile

Other symptoms can include but are not limited to irritability and mood
    swings, hot flashes and night sweats, memory lapses, aching joints, depression, weight
    gain, and pelvic pain. In order to get a rich and spotless tan while keeping
    your skin smooth and glowing, it is necessary to use the best quality tanning
    products. My personal preference having used
    both mediums is the lotion, or the sunless tanner spray, sprayed
    on and then rubbed in.
    fake tanzanite in cozumel recently posted…fake tanzanite in cozumelMy Profile

Corporate Taxes: All business structures pay taxes on the income
    made in that particular business. Educating these customers in how to handle their tax affairs in the future can save them
    many thousands of dollars. Avoid hype or gimmicks and let people know exactly what to expect and what they are
    required to do in order to receive what they are being offered.
    Boca Raton CPA jobs in florida recently posted…Boca Raton CPA jobs in floridaMy Profile