Right now, our house has a cavernous echo. Like being inside an aircraft hangar. Only instead, it’s just that it’s been cleared of all Christmas lights and baubles.
And I love it.
Turning the calendar page to 2017 was like a nice, deep breath. A fresh start. Your home can benefit from a fresh start, too.
Do you have home goals for 2017? Of course you do. We all do.
There are plenty of projects we’d like to complete this year – finishing touches on the house, organizational projects, decorative additions, and loads of outdoor ideas.
But more than anything, I want our family to find contentment at home.
Because creating a home isn’t only about constant movement to the the next BIG FAT PROJECT (BFP). It’s also about reading bedtime stories on the floor, cooking dinner, and hosting gatherings family and friends.
It’s about quieting the to-do lists and noise inside our heads. And mostly, it’s about being part of the moments that take place at home.
Even if it’s not perfect. Especially if it’s not perfect.
This is a bit of a mindset shift, don’t you think?
For years, we’ve always had the NEXT BFP. But, now it’s time to slow down a bit, tweak things, and enjoy what we’ve built.
How do we do it?
Honestly, I’m not 100 percent sure. Here are a few ideas I’m thinking on:
- Keep it simple in our home – only adding things that we truly love and enjoy. This removes distractions and the need for new BFPs.
- Establish routines together in our home.
- Family routines like cooking dinner, playing games and bedtime stories.
- Household routines to keep the house maintained, clean and organized. (Because if the house is chaos, I will be too distracted to be content.)
- Create comfortable spaces where family and friends want to linger.
- Let go of perfection in the home. And don’t let imperfection or unfinished projects keep us from enjoying home and inviting others in.
- Build new traditions together.
Don’t get me wrong – I think that goals and lists and progress are great. (And I have plenty of these types of personal goals filling the pages of my planner, too.) But this year, I’m also going to work on finding peace and contentment in our home.
Who’s with me?
(Pssst: I’d love your input on ways to be more content at home. And I’d love to hear about your goals, so I can cheer you on.)
Did you like this post?
We'd love to send you more inspiration and encouragement for your home. When you sign up below, we'll send you our free guide to save thousands on your next home project. Because your home shouldn't own you.