Before I get to April, I have to acknowledge something important. You.
The past few months haven’t been easy – they’ve felt both unbearably long and also painfully short. I go through a range of emotions every single day – sometimes, it feels like my emotions are swinging every minute. Every day gets a little better, but that doesn’t mean I feel totally “over it.”
And you’ve helped me realize that that’s okay. You’ve come out of the woodwork and left me encouraging comments and emails. You’ve told me your own stories. You’ll never know how much that has helped me – to help me realize that I’m not alone. (Even though it really breaks my heart to know so many people have gone through really hard times.)
So mostly, I’m just so thankful for this blog and the people who read it – you. For the friends I’ve met through this blog who have been so supportive and kind as we dealt with a pretty heavy blow. I’m feeling a lot better physically and every day, I feel more and more like myself.
Thank you for being part of my tribe.
April highlights …
The weather warmed up in April and I celebrated the start of my 32nd year. We spent lots of time as a family as we healed, and that was a blessing. We’re also watching our home come together more and more every day, which gives me so many feels. Here are my favorite posts of the month.
- Storing paint in a squeeze bottle
- The hex tile look – with sheet vinyl
- A new outdoor space
- First peek at our new kitchen
It’s just sort of crazy to think about kindness right now. Because we’re being shown so much of it – I’m feeling overwhelmed with all the kindness around me. And I never would have imagined that I would learn so much about kindness in such a short period of time.
And I’ve seen that when it’s shown to me, I want to pass it on. I want to learn from those who do it well.
One way I’m doing this is that when I think about someone, I am trying to send a note, a message or a text immediately. It’s becoming a pretty strong habit to do it, and I’ve had such a wonderful response so far. I have realized myself how much it means to realize that someone cares and is thinking about me. And I want to do the same thing.
I’m also making more time to spend with friends and family. I’m clearing my calendar a lot more. I’m not holding myself to any ridiculous expectations I have, because life’s just too short. Instead, I’m working on the relationships around me.
This doesn’t mean I’m perfect, but I really feel like I’m making progress.
I’m sharing the books I read each month – in (approximately) the order of favorites. I share because I love to see what books people love and partially because I think reading actually does make me a less vile person – thus leading to my goal of kindness. Maybe it’s convoluted. The links with to the books are affiliate links on Amazon, in case you want to buy any of the books I’ve read.
- Mother, Can You Not? by Kate Siegel (review on Goodreads)
- Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll (review on Goodreads)
A few of my favorite podcasts this month …
- The Longest Shortest Time #80– The Accidental Gay Parents 3 is the continuation of a series about two men who never expected to be parents. It’s seriously worth a listen.
- Middle School #449 – This episode is all about middle school, and the drama is real. It mostly made me thankful to be beyond the school years.
- Radiolab Update: 23 Weeks 6 Days: Probably not the best story for me to listen to this month, in my current emotional state. But it is really a beautiful update on Juniper, a tiny baby born at 23 weeks and 6 days. Truly miraculous and beautiful and had me in tears.
When it comes to kindness, I want to be the person who encourages and uplifts the talents of others. Here are a few things I’ve really been inspired by this month …
- Positively Dreamy White Kitchen at Maybe Matilda
- DIY National Park Chalkboard at Boxy Colonial
- Master Bedroom Ceiling at That’s My Letter (Jaime seriously does something incredible every month)
- Outdoor Wine Caddy at Rogue Engineer
A few things that helped us make it through the month:
- Columbia Crest Cabernet (Quite possibly my new favorite cabernet. And I do not announce this lightly.)
- Oh My Stars Shirt by Ruby’s Rubbish (My new favorite top. Just expect to see me in it often.)
- Talk to me – That’s All mug (I love the size and feel of these mugs for my daily coffee – and they are simple and cute. Plus, a portion of all proceeds goes toward fighting ovarian cancer.)
- Sanuk Women’s Yoga Sling Sandal (My friend turned me on to these comfy sandals this month – they are cute and so cushioned. Perfect for all day, every day.)
(Some may be affiliate links.)
Next month …
I’m going to purge until I can purge no more. I’m working my way through all of our stuff and having a yard sale next week. I’m also trying to get ready to move. Plus, I need to paint all the doors and trim and the kitchen.
So basically, it will be a crazy month – in a good way. I’m going to work through it all one step at a time – while working to show kindness to those around me (and grace to myself).