I am sharing something groundbreaking today. I made something with a pallet.
I know. Pallets are so passé. Half of Pinterest is devoted to the upcycling of old pallets.
But I think this is our first ever pallet project. So, it’s new to us. And it was so easy and turned out better than we even expected.
Best part? Our new fence cost $0. Everything we used was already on-hand.
I had been trying to think of a way to hide the ugly A/C unit and other mechanicals that were leaving the utility room in the barn. It was highly visible as you approached the barn and it was driving me crazy.
Here’s a picture from last year that gives you a bit of an idea of what I was working with. The A/C unit is joined by the meter and some other important stuff. It’s not pretty. (Neither are all the weeds, but give me a break.)
The fence is an easy way to disguise the ugly, while still allowing access. Now if only I could disguise the hideous satellite dishes. (BLEH!)
Ryan secured two pallets for us to use and then simply attached them to stakes before driving them securely in the ground. He attached them together at the corner with screws. Once they were secure, I finished them with the same stain I had leftover from the barn (Behr Solid Color Weatherproofing All-In-One Wood Stain and Sealer). It covers really well and only took one coat. The best part of the stain is that it really soaks into the wood and gives a really durable finish. It made the pallet wood blend in well with the barn walls.
Once the fences were complete, I added two new barn quilts I made last month at our craft night. I chose two different quilt squares and went to town. The first is called Star of the Milky Way.
The second barn quilt is a quilt block I found from this post on knit ‘n lit. It doesn’t appear to have a name, but it’s one of the half square triangle blocks and I used a variety of paint colors I had on hand.
I’m so happy with how this area looks now. It blends in with the rest of the barn and feels really intentional.