Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and take on the big, ugly projects.
That’s why I recently turned my attention to this large, ugly room. The garage/workshop/barn section of our barn. Which I don’t know that you’ve ever really seen on this blog. There may be a reason for that.
It ain’t pretty, folks.
But, we have some big plans to make it an extension of our (tiny) living space and a really useful area to work on projects, play, and store our “necessities.” Especially as the winter approaches when we won’t be able to enjoy the outdoors as much.
Not to mention so many tools and very little organization. So we always spend about 20 minutes looking for anything we need.
There are 14 screwdrivers in that pile and God knows we can’t find a single one to use when building IKEA furniture building.
So, now you’ve seen the ugly. It’s pretty bad. Which means there’s nothing to do but get better. Ryan and I are determined to use the next few months to get this area whipped into shape – not only looking good but also functioning well. For very little dinero.
- Mudroom – a place to remove and store shoes, coats, hats and bags. (Cause ain’t nobody got room for those things in the apartment. And I don’t want all the dirt and mud trekked in.)
- Storage, storage, storage – it’s most important for us to create a place for everything. Ev-ery-thing. Which include all of Ryan’s tools, paint, additional supplies like lumber, paint and hardware, outdoor/large toys, yard tools … the list goes on and on. Everything needs to find a home. With a label – because neither Ryan nor I are great about putting this away.
- Laundry – the laundry room is teeny tiny, but it will need to be functional.
- Workspace – we want to have dedicated areas for Ryan to work. Which means it needs to be clear of junk and not become a magnet for clutter. These spaces could also be used for potting/gardening and painting.
- Parking – the middle of the garage will need to function as … A GARAGE. 😉 We’ll park our cars and our Gator there, so it will be empty.
- Entertaining – long term, I have some pretty big ideas for this space. I want to make choices for this space that will also allow us to “hide away” parts of it and convert for entertaining. I love to host events and parties, and this could really become a lovely space for this, even after we build.
Maybe this is too much to do in one garage. But, I think it’s doable. It’s a large area, and anything is better than this, right?