Disclosure: I was provided with a Flip-Pal mobile scanner to review. But all opinions, as always, are my own.
There are some things that put life into perspective.
This reminded me of how precious family is, how fast a lifetime can go, and the legacy one person can leave behind.
I was lucky enough to be sent a Flip-Pal mobile scanner in December to try. Ryan and I actually planned to visit Grandma Duke over the holidays to scan some photos and hear her stories. We knew she was getting older and her memory was going, so it was the perfect opportunity to spend some time together and download some memories.
But you know what they say about making plans? She was taken to the hospital right before Christmas and ended up in a memory care unit by the first of the year. She went downhill quickly and soon was placed in hospice care, where she was treated with great kindness and made comfortable. We had the opportunity to visit often in the last month. Henry really enjoyed seeing his great grandma, playing with the blocks and flirting with the other ladies. She seemed to really enjoy Henry’s company, too. She even remembered his name, which surprised us.
I had actually used the Flip-Pal around the house to try it out for a review on the blog and was really impressed by the ease, quality and speed. But then Ryan and I spent an evening with his parents sorting through boxes and albums of photos in preparation for his grandma’s memorial. I sat with the Flip-Pal and scanned and scanned and scanned. For over an hour. We laughed and shared stories and grieved. We pored over old photos when his grandma was our age.
In the end, we were able to put together a lovely photo slideshow that paid a small tribute to a full and happy life. She was loved by so many and we’ll always remember her fondly. In particular, she always treated me like a “real” granddaughter. She always gave me big side hugs. She taught us how to play bingo at the VFW. She brought us to the boat on my 21st birthday. She glowed when Henry hopped up on her lap.
Here are a few photos that I scanned of Helen last week with the Flip-Pal.
I am so happy we could scan those memories to keep.
In case you are interested in the Flip-Pal, here are a few of my favorite features:
- Size – It’s compact – only 6×10 inches by my measurements. It’s also light and battery-powered, which makes it simple to take with you on the go.
- Portability – One of my biggest pet peeves is having to hook devices into my computer. It’s cumbersome and makes me want to avoid the process. The Flip-Pal is battery operated and saves the scans onto an SD card (like a camera). This means you don’t even have to have the computer with you when you are scanning.
- Ease of use – It truly took me less than a minute to set up the Flip-Pal. Once it’s out of the package, you activate the AA batteries, turn it on, and set the date and time. Then, you scan. Bing. Bang. Boom. It’s so fool proof, I truly think anyone could use it.
- Quick – Some scanners I’ve used in the past take forever to scan one image. On average, it took about 5 seconds to scan a photo. We were able to scan nearly 200 photos in just over an hour (with plenty of time for reminiscing in between).
- Simple download – When you plug the SD card into your computer with the USB drive provided, my computer pulled the photos right into my iPhoto like it would photos on a camera. Then, I could crop and edit photos to my liking. No special software was required.
The size of the scanner does make scanning larger documents more of a process. You can scan the parts of a larger photo or document and then combine them when you download to a computer. So, I found using the Flip-Pal for small 4×6 or 5×7 photos simplest.
(Check out the Flip-Pal side-by-side with other types of scanners.)
I didn’t intend to use the scanner in this way when I agreed to review it. But, it was really nice to have a simple way to scan and share these photos with friends and family of Ryan’s grandma.
And if you have photos or documents you would love to scan, today is your lucky day. Flip-Pal is giving one mobile scanner away ($149 value) to a NewlyWoodwards reader. You have several opportunities to enter. See the handy widget below for details and to enter.
Did you like this post?
We'd love to send you more inspiration and encouragement for your home. When you sign up below, we'll send you our free guide to save thousands on your next home project. Because your home shouldn't own you.