NOEL front door decor and exterior holiday decor for Dare to deck the halls

Can you believe we’re nearly done with this year’s Dare to DIY. I am being totally honest when I say I think this was the best year yet! I’ve been so excited about the projects that you’ve been posting every week. Remember, the final link-up will go live on Monday morning. Will you dare?

So for this challenge, I decided to finally make myself a NOEL sign inspired by the Pottery Barn version, but with a NewlyWoodwards twist.

Here’s the inspiration.

I picked up the letters at Michaels. They were all white, except the L which was black with white polka dots. I figured it didn’t matter since I was going to paint them anyhow. I was looking to attach them quickly and simply. Enter staple gun. It worked surprisingly well. Although it took a few tries. The back isn’t pretty but it is held together nicely.

After covering the letters in a coat of turquoise paint from my basement paint store, they looked pretty great. I attached them with fishing line to a thrifted frame that was also stored away in my basement. It was originally a wood tone, but I like it painted white.

I think it gives me a pop of nice color to the red front door. I also like it because I can always display it elsewhere, sans frame, if the mood strikes.

While we’re outside, I’ll show you this year’s simple exterior decorations. The garland usually adorns the fence, but our new railings were begging me to decorate them. The bows were pew bows from our wedding. And the two poinsettia arrangements were on the alter at our wedding. Winter wedding for the win.

The other simple little project was adding a little cheer to our fence planters. Our friend Pam has a few big evergreen trees and she let me cut some clippings. A little pine, a little spruce, a little holly.

It’s feeling pretty festive around here.
NOEL Sign

As a reminder, here are the other DIY holiday decor projects I’ve shared this week for Dare to DIY:

Clockwise from top left: Navy and red pennants on Henry’s Christmas tree, A very homespun mantel with DIY stocking tags, A silver tree full of DIY turquoise, yellow and chalkboard ornaments, and A storybook staircase.

I’m looking forward to seeing your DIY holiday decor projects on Monday. To find more Dare to DIY inspiration, check out my co-hosts’ projects at Decor and the Dog, Maybe Matilda and Two Twenty One.

Comments

1. Biz says

I LOVE this! I’ve been thinking of doing a NOEL project with the cardboard letters…you may have just pushed me in that direction.

2. Mrs. 5C says

Cute little “NOEL”! I wouldn’t have thought to use a staple gun!
    I am IN. LOVE. with your garland on your front porch. Against the white, it’s A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

3. Wendy says

Oh wow.. I love the color and such a cute arrangement in the white frame!!! Such a gorgeous front door!

I had always loved that Noel sign as well, but don’t have a jigsaw so I just admired them from afar. DUH (me!) on the staple gun.. oh my! My staple gun lives on my craft room floor and it never crossed my mind. This is now added to my list for my weekly (tri-weekly) trip to Michael’s. Hopefully I can do it justice!

4. Rachel says

Your house looks beautiful! Like, to the point that if I were driving by, I would turn around and drive by again, real slow, and snap cell phone pictures to ogle over later. I love how cozy and cheery it looks, and the Noel sign is awesome! I love the nontraditional color choice, and together with the frame, it makes such an impact on your door. Awesome job, all around! Love it all!

5. Caitlin @ Desert Domicile says

Love the NOEL sign! I like that you painted it a non-traditional color too :) And your porch is amazing! Love the color of your siding!

6. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication says

This is so cute! What a great idea Kim! I’m definitely going to have to try this with something!

7. Jaime Costiglio says

Kim love the different take on Christmas decor, thinking out of the green & red box is so refreshing. I’m the silent night sign gal, saw your stairs over at Amanda’s Serenity Now and they are too cute. Here’s hoping Henry doesn’t tear off those precious words before the 24th! Following you now.

8. Jordan@the2seasons says

Kim this is just adorable. Your house is looking so festive. I am pinning this now I love it!. We want to eventually change the railing going down our stairs and actually add one to the other side. The day we do it I will have to remember some ways to decorate and the cute Noel sign. Ahh love the holidays!

9. *claire* says

this is so cute! i’ve been wanting to make one of those noel signs for years – you make it look easy – i should just get on it! :)

i wish i lived closer to you and could come visit your house in winter – it seems so festive and cozy!