A zig zag chevron baby quilt

Why, yes. My son most certainly does need another navy and white quilt. Why do you ask?

After finishing the houndstooth quilt, I made this zig zag chevron quilt for Henry in May and scheduled a post about it on May 25, Henry’s birthday. I had planned to finish binding it the week Henry was born. Needless to say, that didn’t happen.

It was totally inspired by a quilt from Flickr that is no longer available. It has been on my baby pin board for a long time. I just loved it and couldn’t get it out of my head. Mine ended up being different, but I still hope it has the same feel. (This was actually on flickr when I pinned it and had lots of great comments about the technique, but it appears to have been removed.)

I finally got the binding finished on mine while we were at the Lake. Zippity doo dah. I think it looks great.

I still like the extra quilting on the inspiration image, but I wasn’t in the mood to go back and do more quilting. (Color me lazy.)

I used Kona solids for the zigs and zags. I didn’t use a pattern, but basically just made a bunch of 6 inch squares and made them into half-square triangles. These easily came together to make the pattern. I just kept making the squares until I had enough for the quilt. (I use this simple way to make the half-square triangles.)

The dot backing was leftover from the houndstooth quilt and I had just enough to make the backing and the binding from it.

Well, I think I should probably stop making baby quilts for Henry. But, they are so fun that I’m having trouble not making more.

What do you think?

Comments

You are SO talented. What a gift. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to make quilts for babies in the hospital or for children in underpriviledged areas? What a great way to share your skill. Wish I had it…

You did a great job.
    I just made a quilt for my youngest cousin (she just turned 6 months).
    It was my refresher on quilting.
    I have hopes to make one for Bitsy next…but I want to make her a big one that will last awhile.
    I love your quilts they always look fabulous!

Just have more babies! Then you’ll have excuses to make tons of quilts. :)

Seriously, though, I love that one. I don’t know how you do it. I’d end up sewing my fingers together.

LOVE it! I wish I could quilt, but I don’t seem to have the patience for it I think. Luckily my MIL and SIL are quilters- I’m hoping we get something as beautiful as this :)

Kim,
    Have you done a general quilting post before (sorry if I can’t remember)? I’ve always been jealous of people who can make custom quilts. I’m wondering… How long does it take to learn how to quilt? How expensive is a diy quilt vs one that’s store-bought? How long does it take to make a basic quilt?

It’s GORGEOUS!! So fresh and modern! :) Not to feed the insanity or anything, but if you keep making him navy & white quilts, you could one day bind them all together for his big-boy bed? ;)
    Does Henry totally love the contrast in these quilts? Katherine is OBSESSED with her black and white picture books.

7. Lauren says

Oh my gosh! This might be my favorite. I wish I could sew/quilt/do anything wife worthy. I love it!!

8. Lauren says

Also.. you could totally sell these on Etsy… I also like the idea of donating them to underprivileged children.

Ok. I will pay for your airline ticket. Come to CT and do mine. I gave up on our nursery today lol!

It’s a perfect room. I love that it’s a little grown up. Baby rooms don’t have to look like Walt Disney threw up all over it.

I need to make a ruler growth chart!

I love, love, LOVE this…. and I swear that I had commented, but it looks like I hadn’t! I actually made this quilt this weekend — thanks so much for the inspiration!! I’m giving it as a gift this weekend at a baby shower, so when I share it next week, I’ll be sure to let you know and I’ll be linking back to here as my source of inspiration!! ;)
    Amanda S. recently posted…Recipe: Baked French Breakfast DoughnutsMy Profile