A book shelf for baby

I knew from early in planning the nursery that I wanted a place to store books for our little guy. I also knew I wanted something a little different than a typical bookcase. At first, I wanted Ryan to build something. (This initial discussion may or may not have ended in me in tears, squeaking “Do you want our child to NEVER LEARN TO READ?” I’d like to blame the hormones, but in reality, I’m just a nutcase.)

Then, after convincing Ryan to make a bookshelf, I spotted the Madison 4-shelf bookrack from Pottery Barn Kids. I really liked that it came in navy and that the books faced outwards, meaning you could see them from the front and Baby Dub could eventually pick out his own books. I also like that it takes up very little floor space and holds a lot of books.
Which is important when you are going to have a child who will clearly be a genius and need tons of books.
Ryan liked that he would no longer have to build something to his irrational-slash-hormonal wife’s specifications.
See? Win-win.
So, I brought the piece of furniture home and set it up. Then, after a few baby showers, I had a full book rack. And it’s so darn cute I can hardly stand it. It also holds a deceivingly large amount of books.
The little school desk was Ryan’s grandpa’s from his school. So, now we have a little reading area, which I adore.
It really spruces up the corner of the nursery. The books are good looking and functional.
One more check off the list, friends. One more check off the list.

Comments

I have a tip, make sure you anchor it to the wall. I forsee baby W pulling up on it. Thats the nanny in me. It is really cool though, I’ve never seen anything like it.

It is really all coming together. I love how many books you have for your baby. The book shower idea was the cutest thing and now you get all these wonderful books. Hope you are staying busy to help keep your mind off your soon due date.

We have two of these in white in the nursery and I flipping love them. I bought a regular bookshelf for T’s room and I miss how easy it is to put the books back – and find his favorites – from these.

Booooooooks … I love children’s books! We have more of them than the boys know what to do with. Seriously, start reading to Baby Dub as soon as he vacates the uterus, and he’ll develop a love for it. All my dudes have. :)

6. Anonymous says

Love, love, love it! It looks super! You should add a navy bean chair to the mix! They’re so much fun!

7. Anonymous says

talk to me about the pillow on the chair by the bookshelf, did you make it? buy it? quilt it? patterned fabric? details please! :-)

8. Caroline Meyers says

Oh! He’ll love being able to pick out his own books when he gets older! That looks like a terrific book storage solution and it goes so well with the whole room!

9. Anonymous says

Hi Kim,

I have been following your blog for about a year or year and a half and never commented (lurking- terrible, I know!). Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that your nursery looks adorable. I am in awe of your crafting abilities and creativity.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Best,

Jennifer (mom of a 2 year old boy)