File this under simple project that I should have done (way) sooner.
You may recall our handy little spice rack.
Strangely enough, blog friends love this spice rack. Every time I post photos of the kitchen, I get questions about the origin of the spice rack and clock. (Spice rack: Bed, Bath and Beyond. Clock: Hand-me-down from mom, which you can apparently also find at Bed, Bath and Beyond.)
But my dirty secret is that I rarely use any of the spices on that rack. Maybe two or three of them. In fact, most of the spices on the rack have gone unused since we received it as a wedding gift in 2007. Most of the spices I used on a regular basis live in the abyss that is my spice cabinet. This is what it looked like when I last cleaned it in 2009. It hasn’t looked this good since… well, the day after this photo was taken in 2009.
I could never find the spices I used. For goodness sakes, Arizona Lainey couldn’t even find the vanilla when she wanted to make us cookies. (Yes, my mom sometimes comes to my house to make us cookies, are you jealous?) So, the inability for my mother to make us cookies was the last straw! The humanity!
Since the spices all came with the rack and were probably out-of-date anyhow (I don’t really know that, but I would assume they don’t have an indefinite shelf-life), I dumped all the spices, cleaned out the jars and got to work putting things I actually use into the jars.
So much better, right?
And pretty darn simple, too. I sprayed the lids with chalkboard paint after cleaning them. Then, I just wrote the name with a chalkboard pen. If I want to change the jar, I’ll just wipe and re-write.
And, some other benefits of the new setup:
- It’s pretty. I like the look of the black lids and the bright colored spices. This is number one because I like having things in my home that look pretty and make me happy.
- I’ll know when the spices I use a lot are running low. Because I can see them. No more running to the store because I didn’t realize we were out of cumin.
- I won’t buy four of the same spice because it’s right out in the open. I may have had four jars of cumin.
- I won’t have to dig through a cabinet when I need something for cooking/baking. Boom! Right there.
- I can buy spices from the bins in the future, saving money and packaging. I’ve always wanted to do this.
- The spice cabinet is actually spacious now. NO MORE LOOKING FOR VANILLA! (Momma – do you hear me?)
- Ryan won’t ask me where the red pepper is. Every.time.he.eats.pizza.
When’s the last time you took on a simple project that made a bigger impact?