Renovation progress report – week 36

Due to traveling, we only had a few days to work on the house this week. But, as my husband is the ENERGIZER Bunny (I’m sorry for mixing that up last week, friends.), he still got started on a new project.

The stairway.

We had the brilliant idea to do a type of board and batten on the staircase for an upscale look. It also allows us to cover a lot of the different (ugly) textures on the wall.

So, Ryan got almost everything installed in the staircase, and I think it’s going to look super nice when it’s a crisp, clean white.

But I will say that it was a lot of work for him. That’s a lot of boards to install.

The “batten” boards cover the seams of the plywood underneath. I really like the squares.

So that’s this week’s projects.

(As an aside, the process was very similar to our board and batten installation in our dining room. It’s still one of our most popular posts. Check it out if you are interested.)

What do you think of the wall treatment?

Comments

I love board and batten. Someday I hope to have a house that lends itself to classic touches like that. Then we would hire you and Ryan to come and help us install it. :o)

2. Andrew says

Wow – that looks like it was quite a bit of work. Ryan deserves a lot of credit – it can’t have been easy to get those all so straight.

I agree with Decorandthedog – it’s going to be amazing when it’s all painted white. What are you thinking for the stairs?

Andrew
    Wholesale Flooring Ace

Wow again my jaw dropped with another amazing project – I’m thinking I’ll need to hire you guys to help once we start to renovate… once we move… ahem.

I can’t wait to see it bright white oooh.

Oh I cannot wait to see this painted out. You guys are so classy. What are your ideas for the stair treads? I’m sure whatever you’ve got in your creative head is fabulous.

5. Megg says

Wow, that looks awesome! I can’t wait to see it painted white! Maybe next week??? ;)
    I’m curious as to when you are going to buy a house and stay in it, or are you going to keep doing this? I don’t know if I could completely renovate a house and NOT stay in it forever!
    I’m just curious and maybe a little nosy :)

6. Carrie @ Hazardous Design says

Hi! Just wanted to say that I’m a long time reader, but I think this is the first time I’ve commented. I think your home is amazing! You should be proud of all the work you’ve done. It is very inspiring :)

7. Arizona Lainey says

How clever is that? Another Amazing NewlyWoodward creation! We will be anxious to see the finished painted result. Love it!

It’s things like this that is going to make your house be amazing. Like oh hey, let’s go upstairs, WOAH would you look at that stairway?!?! Unexpected details and whatnot…love them. And for reals, Ryan is pretty darn impressive. I tell you all the time how awesome you are but I don’t go on and on about Ryan enough. Way to go Ryan, way.to.go.