Paint swatches

I’ve been getting a lot of emails and comments about that one thing that can make us cheer or make us cry.

PAINT!

Our current home has a lot of tan in paint and furniture. But, I adore the blue and green rooms in our house the most. So, in the new house, I’m leaning more towards cooler tones of grays and blues. But, I want to keep the house from being too cold, so I’m looking for warmer tones. So far, I’m pleased with the results.

So, here’s my color plan for the house (so far).
Living room, entry and hallway – Martha Stewart Bedford Gray (MSL246)

Dining room – Martha Stewart Seal (MSL268) (via AVS Forum) with white board and batten

Kitchen, master bedroom and closet – Restoration Hardware Silver Sage

(I also used this color in our current kitchen)

Front bedroom – Sherwin Williams Ellie Gray (SW 7650)

Upstairs bath – MS Sharkey Grey (via Stacy Nance Interiors)

Trim – Basic Behr Premium Ultra White (off-the-shelf)

As you see, I’m leaning towards warm gray in the main living areas. I had so many great suggestions for paint colors a few weeks ago. And, I went through every one and narrowed it down to my favorites, with a photo of each. (Don’t you love the Internet?)

And here’s the narrowed list of greiges that you provided to me two weeks ago, with an inspiration photo of each:
BM Edgecomb Gray (via Blossom Interiors)

Dolphin fin (via Decor Pad)

BM Hazy Skies (via Coastal Living and Wind Lost)

BM Classic Gray (via Seams of Thought)

BM Cape May Cobblestone (via Made by Bird)

Wood Smoke by Glidden (via Rate my Space)

BM Kendall Charcoal (via Benjamin Moore Paint Colors on Flickr)

Behr’s Graceful Gray (via Holly Mathis Interiors)

Behr Aged Beige (via HoityToityBaby)

Woodrow Wilson Putty – Valspar (via Bryn at Decorpad)

What’s your favorite paint color?

Comments

1. Leigh @ Kesler Expressler says

I’m loving the grays as well. I might try to convince the husband to put gray somewhere in the house.

I’m 90% sure we’re going to do Silver Sage in our bedroom. We have two friends that have it in their family rooms and I love how the color seems to shift based on the light. We got a sample to put on the walls just to make sure that’s the way we want to go.

2. LizzieBeth says

Is grey the new sand? I’m seeing it everywhere now!

JEGs and I have been debating about grey in the boudoir, but I haven’t quite gotten him on board yet. I think I might end up doing some variation in our guest bedroom though. I love it with white and a shock of something like lime green.

LB

3. Amanda @ Serenity Now says

I’m so indecisive when it comes to choosing colors…mostly b/c I hate painting and don’t want to have to repaint if I don’t like the way it turns out. ;) You have some great choices! I have a ‘lil Scentsy Giveaway going on today…hope you’ll stop by. :)

4. Allison aka Half of VAMH says

I love what you have chosen — gray is SO hard but you’ve perfected it! We have a whole lot of BM Silver Fox and Stardust in our house, its a brown-gray.

Silver Sage is so pretty but its just not for me, I painted our sunroom that color and I have been itching for a navy or teal everyday since! Color whore to the core.

5. Jen says

Sweetie – I just have to say the colors you picked out are GORGEOUS!! I’ve tried to pick out colors for my house and have failed miserably… can you home help me??? ;-)

Happy Wednesday Darling! xo

6. yeoldesandwichshoppeva says

HR Silver Sage always looks so beautiful. I think I’m going to have to paint my master bedroom/bathroom that color some day.

Right now, my favorite color in my house is Valspar’s olive grey.. It’s not quite green not quite grey. I love it.

7. Leigh says

I’m a cool color girl too, but John was the one who pushed for gray in our house. I wish I liked warm colors, or even warmer tones of the cool colors. And after seeing all the colors you posted I wish (kinda) I had more walls to paint.

8. Mrs. 5C says

I love paint. Picking paint is my favorite renovation activity. It also gives me mini panic attacks sometimes. It’s a Love-OHMYGODYIKES-Love relationship. Thank you for posting your plan! I wish I had created a paint plan from the beginning! You’re so organized!

9. *claire* says

all of those are amazing. i’m really loving that first gray. i think it will look fantastic – plus you are working within the style/history of your house – so it just fits!

it’s great too that you have the chance to paint it all at once – and think about all of the rooms together, but each as a blank slate. sometimes i really wish i could just start from scratch in our house!

10. Cara says

Love the Bedford Gray, and Silver Sage was on my short list for our Master Bedroom (I wound up mixing my own color).

I am using my first Martha Stewart paint for our downstairs, and Sharkey Gray was one of the samples I tried. We wound up going with MS Hickory. I’m excited about the low VOC paint, but I definitely think I’m going to need a second coat!

11. Shanade says

I love love love the Bedford Gray and Sharkey Grey. If I didn’t have really high ceilings and my husband wouldn’t be furious with me I just might repaint my house one of those two colors.