Dare to… deck the halls! (Week 5/6)

Fa la la la la la…. Have you been decking the halls?

I have. And, I have a feeling you have been, too.

Dare to DIY Blog Party

This week is your opportunity to share how you’ve been decking the halls in a DIY way.

Dare to… deck the halls!
Make something new to deck your halls. Did you find something in a catalog that you wish you had? Wreaths, stockings, pillows or advent calendars? Make it! Inspire us all to do the same.

My turn
I’ve put together a few new DIY projects for Christmas decorations this year.

This year, I brought my decorations from last year’s tree to put up at my aunt’s house. I somehow ended up without a topper. So, I made one. I just used these fun ornaments and some hot glue and created a hat for the tree top. I think it turned out pretty cute.

Since I saw the Eddie Ross ornament wreath, I’ve wanted to make one. I’m not sure why I waited so long. It was simple and turned out really well. First I made a gold version to hang on our television stand.
Then I made a green and red version for my mom.

(My tips – don’t skip the hot glue step, use ornaments with a metal hanger instead of plastic, have three times as many ornaments as you think you need and use a variety of sizes.)
I also tried forcing bulbs this year. I put three bulbs in a glass bowl with river rocks. I gave these as favors at our department holiday party and they went over really well. I also kept one myself. They should be blooming by Christmas. They took a little time. (I started them about 3-4 weeks ago.) But they are really pretty and very affordable. (I spent about $3 each.)

And, here are two of my favorite decor-related DIY projects from the past:

Your turn…

What did you DARE to come up with?
A couple of guidelines:
1. Please link to the specific post, not your general blog address.
2. Please include a teaser of your post.
3. Please visit at least one other blog below and comment! This will help us all meet each other.
4. Link your post back up to NewlyWoodwards with text or this button. Just pull the code from below.

Dare to DIY Blog Party

I’m so excited to see what you come up with. Thanks in advance for joining the party this week.

(I won’t be posting ideas for traditions this week, but I’ll see you at Dare to… have traditions! next week.)

Comments

1. Wendy says

Kim,
    Love your tree topper. This year I used ribbon, might have to buy some ornaments after Christmas and try to make a tree topper! Love the wreath’s, too. Haven’t tried that yet either…always next year :)
    Wendy

2. missarahlou says

A tree topper is one of the things I have yet to buy/DIY and I’ve been trying to find ideas to make my own–so perfect timing! I’ve also been admiring the ball-wreaths for ages but haven’t made one myself… yet.

PS. I don’t think I’ve actually thanked you for hosting this DIY party– so THANK YOU! It’s really encouraged and inspired me to do more DIY-crafting for the holidays when I would normally put it off for more “important” things, like folding laundry. :)

3. Oonafey says

OMG, your tree topper is phenomenal! I love, love, love it. I think it’s seriously my favorite DIY for this season, it’s so fun and different. The little spiky ornaments sticking up make me giggle!

4. *claire* says

i love all of those you made! the tree topper is fantastic! i think we need one of those! also – been wanting to try the ornament wreath for a while… might have to now! paperwhites are gorgeous! target always has some nice pots/bulbs half off after christmas

5. Amy@My Front Porch says

I’m linking up for the first time! I’ve been having so much fun visiting all these new sites and getting inspiration :)

Last year someone gave me a Paperwhite for Christmas. It was BEAUTIFUL and is the only flower I’ve managed not to kill within 24 hours. But Dave hated the way it smelled so we had to get rid of it :(

6. Leigh @ Kesler Expressler says

Awesome topper, Kim. Our tree is topper-less. We have a lit star that won’t stay on the darn tree and isn’t that great to begin with. I bought ribbon to use but haven’t gotten around to it, so looks like my tree is staying au naturelle again this year.

I really want to do paperwhites, but I think they’re bad for cats and I doubt they’d grow if shut up in my pantry (the only place that flora is safe in our house)

7. Michael - Innkeeper says

kim! love your decorations!!! i made an ornament wreath too. a big one.. used like 200 ornaments. it fell of the wall and broke. :( don’t have the heart to put it back together.

i’ll just find joy in looking at yours! :)

i linked up a couple things i already posted about … hope that’s okay … will post another later. thanks again for the fun party!

8. Shannon says

I said it last year and I’ll reiterate it this year, I kinda wanna be your kid. Your go-all-out decorating is so fun and merry yet still tasteful.

I’m seeing those ornament wreaths everywhere and the thing I focus in on is everyone saying it takes forrrrever! Clearly not the project for me :) But yours, of course, look awesome. I love the gold.

Let’s talk paperwhites. I think they’re super pretty when they bloom. But until then? I think they look like some sort of Harry Potter monster. Creepy.

9. Lucky Girl says

I’m late with my addition this week (was hoping til the last second that I’d get it completed) but yours are awesome! The tree topper is so unique! I’ve never seen anything like it before!