(Please sing the title above to Michael Jackson’s “Beat it.” Ryan and I did. Four times.)
We’ve been getting lazy about cooking at home lately. Well, mostly, I’ve gotten lazy. I get home from work or school and I don’t feel like cooking/don’t have anything defrosted/would prefer to go out. So, we go out.
I knew June was going to be a busy month because I have evening classes twice a week until 10 p.m. So, it felt like the perfect time to try out some freezer meals, and fill up that chest freezer we bought in March.
It took a lot more planning and coordinating than our usual “meal planning.” But, I hope that it will be worth it because we now have about 32 ready-to-go (or nearly ready-to-go) meals.
And, here’s what was in our freezer by the end of the day:
- 6 lbs. of ground beef in 1-lb. packages (for tacos, taco salads, Sloppy Joe’s, etc.)
- 5 bags of shredded chicken in 3 cup packages (for chicken lasagna, chicken fajitas, etc.)
- 2 pans of baked pasta
- 1 pan of manicotti
- 1 pan of chicken enchiladas
- Marinara sauce
- 10 individually-wrapped breakfast burritos (to attempt to curb my love for McDonald’s)
- 8 hamburger patties
- 2 meals – Pork Sante Fe Chili
- 2 – Pizza crust for homemade pizza
- 2 meals – grilled Greek chicken marinade
- 2 meals – Pork Chop marinade
The freezer is almost completely full! I wrote the meal and any instructions right on the bag. I tried to double wrap everything, if possible.
It took most of a day to complete everything, but it went pretty smoothly. I began by cooking the chicken and ground beef/onion. Then, I made and we ate the breakfast burritos for breakfast and I froze the remainder of them. I put the pizza crust in the bread maker on the dough function. Then, I made the hamburger patties and the meats with marinades. Next, I did the more complex meals – baked pasta, enchiladas and manicotti.
While I don’t know that I would do this every month (it’s tough for me to give up almost an entire weekend day), I would definitely like to continue pre-cooking the beef and chicken for meals because it’s a big time saver.